It's Sow Time!

Alright! Productive day in the garden. First off, today was the first sow day of the season and I was able (with the "help" of the little ones) to get kale, mesclun, onions and spinach in the ground. Used a mix of seeds from Stover, Burpee, and Ferry-Morse (which, incidentally was founded prior to the Civil War in 1856... with that kind of annual scrutiny from their customer base, they have to grow, right?)

After letting the prep with the compost sit for a couple of weeks to settle, it was pretty clear I was short on soil. 24 cubic feet short, to be exact. Was able to pick up the Permagreen PRO soil at Home Depot and also got some Miracle Grow Shake 'n Feed vegetable garden fertilizer. Got all that on Saturday afternoon. Smart move. Home Depot on the first really warm weekend.
Levelled and Set
Spend most of the morning mixing in a bit more of the eko compost with the soil and Kate and I leveled the beds. Was worth having Kate pitch in mainly for her face when I told her that eko compost was chicken poop. After that, got in the first seeds and am using both the Farmer's Almanac Garden Planner and Google Calendar reminders to know when to thin and harvest. If anything, I at least feel more organized this year than past seasons.

Garage, Grill, Cherry Tree, Power Lines and Me = Still Intact!!!
Once the garden was set, I set about to remove some 20ft dead ash trees, which should also help open up the full sun onto the beds. The trees were nearly dead last year after getting hit by Denver's ash borer infestation. This year, with no signs of growth, it was time to drop them. The trees weren't huge, but were definitely awkward placed in the yard, just between the grill, a cherry tree, the garage and the power lines. Awesome. But, with some careful hacking and angling, was able to drop them between the garage and the cherry tree without taking out any collateral damage.

Looks like that time stopping on Ax Men when mindlessly flipping through channels paid off.

With the possibility of some additional snow coming over the next few weeks, will need to prep some plastic housing for the seedlings, but think I got them in at the right time this year.
First In
Will take all the miracles I can get... aiming for more than one salad plate this year.

Comments

Popular Posts