"Ok Google... What is... Frost?"
![]() |
| Bit more than "frost," I am guessing... |
Standing at the window, I lift my phone to my face and I Google it. "Ok Google... what is... frost?" feeling full-on stupid and hoping my 7 year old doesn't overhear.
"Frost is a deposit of small white ice crystals formed on the ground or other surfaces when the temperature falls below freezing."
This is no help. It is snowing. Pretty heavy. I don't know the Eskimo word for this type of snow, but suspect it translates to "holy-shit-it-is-waaaay-tooo-late-in-Spring-for-this-where-is-the-fucking-shovel".
No matter what gardening guide you read, everything early season hinges on the last average frost date. Planting, sowing, early trimming... all have a pivot around this crucial period you would think I learned about in elementary school. If I did, I have clearly forgotten what it means. And, since I don't know what it means, I am not sure what I need to do or not do to protect the seeds I just planted a few days ago...
Digging deeper, there are actually two terms here that I find difficult: Frost and Average. Seeing the pounding snow, I decided to go garden-academic later and now probably needed some action, guessing that this late heavy dump probably constituted something greater than "frost" and didn't seem average to a point where I was comfortable letting the newly-planted beds sit naked and exposed.
Taking out some clear plastic garden bags, in my pajamas and rain jacket, I assembled a makeshift cover using rocks and bricks to hold the covering down. Gloves would've been a good idea but I was in panic mode. Spreading out the sheets, it strikes me that every single garden cover I have seen has some structure or space between the plastic and the ground. Standing in the snow, looking at my mats, I also realized that frost is not the only thing I don't understand because I am now not totally sure whether seeds need - and this feels stupid to write as well - air. Maybe this is why there is space? I assume the structure had something to do with providing some space to protect the young plants. Maybe oxygen flow? I don't have plants, yet. I have seeds in the ground. Does this matter? No idea. But, figured that taking some action was better than none, so I covered them the best I could.
This is also when I realize that, for those of you who have read the Martian (HIGHLY recommend it), I would last exactly 4.29 seconds alive on Mars, alone.
This is also when I realize that, for those of you who have read the Martian (HIGHLY recommend it), I would last exactly 4.29 seconds alive on Mars, alone.
After a solid day of snow, I think I made the right decision but a part of me is certain I have suffocated my unborn plants in their dirt-womb. The temps did get down to freezing or just below. The snow was heavier (and earlier) than had been expected and I only left the coverings on for the day.
Peeling the covers back, the ground was clearly soaked, but not frozen. Hopefully, this was just a quick pass and the warmer days ahead mark the turn towards a longer time for sun and warm. Fingers crossed the space of protective structures isn't to permit seeds and plants to breathe. I am fine with not having a green thumb. I am distinctly not cool with being a warm-blooded, green-murderer. The seedlings haven't sprouted yet, but I have been keen to make sure the ground is remaining moist and draining well. The next week should see the first sprouts.
Taking a later look at night, the ground is still pretty wet. Too wet, probably, to plant the potatoes which are supposed to be in drier (that is to say, 'not mud') soil or straw. This year, I am going with straw based on the recommendation from Colorado State University. Dig a trench, drop in some seed tubers, cover with straw. Wet and let pack down. Benefit appears to be that the straw stays loose enough for the potatoes and makes harvesting easier.
We'll see. Nothing about gardening is easy in my mind, which equates easy to recliner chair afternoons.
But, I am going to be ordering some potatoes and straw online for delivery this week and should have them in the ground this week or next weekend, which according to the Garden Planner should be within the window.
In the meantime, I am anxious to get at least a sprout or two for reassurance...




Comments
Post a Comment