Trash bag. Kabob Skewers. Tomato Stakes... I got this.
Yeah, so... there was a storm. Little bit more than frost. Little closer to around half a foot of heavy, wet snow.
Now that the garden is coming up, some fast work was necessary to construct some protection for what was a dumping. Since I still lack those little cool domes you can use as seedling greenhouses or for early season protection against cold weather, it was time to make some.
One thing I do have is clear, plastic bags. Thank you box stores for making sure I will never run out of these. 700 bags in one box? Yes! Ok, now some structure. Not enough time to build anything. Ok, who am I kidding... not enough skill to build anything, I looked around and found my tomato cages.

They are wire-framed, triangular stakes I use to guide the tomato plants, which still don't go in until a couple of weeks from now.
Actually, they are strong on their side and provided a good little tent to drape the garbage bags over. But, with heavy snow and wind predicted, I needed to stake the bags to the ground. Wooden kabob skewers did the trick just fine.
I made a couple of trips out to sweep the snow off the makeshift tents but they held up really, really well. The snow was wet and heavy but the plants made it just fine!
Now that the garden is coming up, some fast work was necessary to construct some protection for what was a dumping. Since I still lack those little cool domes you can use as seedling greenhouses or for early season protection against cold weather, it was time to make some.
One thing I do have is clear, plastic bags. Thank you box stores for making sure I will never run out of these. 700 bags in one box? Yes! Ok, now some structure. Not enough time to build anything. Ok, who am I kidding... not enough skill to build anything, I looked around and found my tomato cages.

They are wire-framed, triangular stakes I use to guide the tomato plants, which still don't go in until a couple of weeks from now.
Actually, they are strong on their side and provided a good little tent to drape the garbage bags over. But, with heavy snow and wind predicted, I needed to stake the bags to the ground. Wooden kabob skewers did the trick just fine.
I made a couple of trips out to sweep the snow off the makeshift tents but they held up really, really well. The snow was wet and heavy but the plants made it just fine!






Comments
Post a Comment